VitalStim Therapy is designed to help improve swallowing function through the use of Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES). Electrical stimulation is used to aid in muscle strengthening and rehabilitation of the swallow.
Additional VitalStim facts are listed below:
- FDA approved method to help treat Dysphagia/Swallowing Disorders/Facial Paralysis and Bells Palsy
- Requires extensive training and requires a specialty certification
- Can help with muscle recruitment and swallowing function through sensory stimulation provided by NMES
- Can help improve swallowing function by re-educating and strengthening the swallowing muscles
- Used in conjunction with oral motor exercises, therapeutic feedings, and various TX techniques to enhance Dysphagia treatment
- VitalStim can be added into a patient’s existing treatment plan
- Patients are reassessed after 6 weeks of treatment
- Doctor referral is required for treatment
Amanda attended Arkansas State University, where she received a Bachelor’s of Science in Communication Disorders in 2000 and a Master’s of Communication Disorders in 2001. She has been working with children for over 15 years and loves seeing them progress and develop new skills. Amanda began working with MKSA in 2010. Amanda is certified to provide VitalStim Therapy, a special form of neuromuscular electrical stimulation that helps habilitate and/or re-educate the throat muscles needed for swallowing. It also helps improve facial function (facial paresis and Bell’s palsy). This safe, non-invasive therapy has been used successfully to help thousands regain the pleasures of an oral diet and a higher quality of life.
Laura received a Bachelor’s in Communication Disorders from Arkansas State University in 2001 and then received her Master’s in Communication Disorders from ASU in 2003. She has worked with the pediatric population since January, 2004 and loves this age group. Laura has 13 years experience working with a pediatric population. When she heard about Miracle Kids opening (in 2010), she was excited to apply. And we are glad she did! Laura is great with children. She loves to work with augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) devices and provide oral-motor/dysphagia treatment and articulation/language treatment. Laura is certified to provide VitalStim Therapy, a special form of neuromuscular electrical stimulation that helps habilitate and/or re-educate the throat muscles needed for swallowing. It also helps improve facial function (facial paresis and Bell’s palsy). This safe, non-invasive therapy has been used successfully to help thousands regain the pleasures of an oral diet and a higher quality of life.
Is Your Child On Track?
How your child plays, learns, speaks and acts offer important clues about his development.
Do you have questions about your child’s development? View our milestone checklist to see if your child is where he/she should be at this stage in their development.
Still have concerns? Complete the form below to contact our staff to discuss your concerns, schedule a tour of our facility, or make an appointment to speak with our staff.